The vU3A is providing access to Zoom as a platform for our chat room.
Zoom is a video-conferencing app, a bit like Skype or FaceTime, but better for larger numbers of people.
Zoom Video Chat Room
If you have never used Zoom before read the help guide below:
This is what you need to do:
- You will need a device that has a camera and a microphone, preferably built-in. Most laptops have a camera and a microphone built in, as do many modern desktops.
- You can also use an iPad or other tablet, or an iPhone or other smart phone. If you have an older desktop, you may have a microphone and/or camera you can plug in. Such devices can be purchased if you don't already have them.
- If you haven't got a camera or microphone, you can still join in, but will only be able to listen, not be seen or heard.
- On whatever device you are using, check that your microphone and speaker(s) are working before you try to attend your first meeting.
Download and install Zoom on the device you are going to use:
- For an iPad or iPhone, download the Zoom app from Appstore.
- For an Android tablet or phone (eg Samsung devices, most smartphones that are not an iPhone), download the Zoom app from Playstore.
- On a desktop computer Click on this link, zoom.us, to open Zoom in your browser.
- In the top right of the screen, click on RESOURCES and select "Download Zoom Client" from the drop-down menu.
- On the next page, click on the first blue Download button, under the heading "Zoom Client for Meetings". The Zoom website is sometimes overloaded and the download may not work - if this happens you can download the Windows Zoom client by clicking here.
- Follow the usual steps to install the app. If you are unfamiliar with installing software, seek help from a grandchild or other tech-savvy person.
- Sign up for a Zoom account (optional - if you are only using Zoom for the vU3A, you don't need to):
- On the Zoom.us website, click on "Sign up, it's free", enter your email address and follow the prompts to create your account.
- Please put your full name in when you sign up, as this will appear during the Zoom meeting and will help identify you.
- Make a note of the password you choose!
We recommend using Zoom's training videos. Click here to go to the Zoom Support page, where you can find out how to test your setup, join a test meeting etc.
We also recommend keeping your Zoom software up to date, for security reasons. Zoom will let you know when updates are available and ask you to install them.